Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Checklist Lover

Interesting NY Times article as a follow up to the Marriage Checklist Dwight mentioned below.

While I am certainly not one for super short courting periods before marriage (Dwight and I lived together 4 years before we finally married)...if my partner already knew all these items about me - and we "agreed" upon the terms of the marriage - what were to happen if something changed? or a life altering event occurred? or, God forbid - one of the parties was in a horribly disfiguring accident? Does that make the marriage null and void? I am certainly not a romantic - truth be told, neither Dwight nor I are - but to me, this idea of a checklist spouse is horribly unromantic and, as long as there is mutual respect and a love to learn, unnecessary.

Dwight - You do remember before procreating, we agreed I would provide the necessary caloric intake for the Homo Sapien offspring as long as you would agree to provide enough of the financial means to secure shelter and food? Not to mention the agreed upon twice a month sexual relations. Are we still on the same page?

No comments: