Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Mornings

Maggi Here.

There are many things that I took for granted before we had Atticus that I now really look forward to...namely weekend mornings and driving alone - especially at night

I have never been a morning person (my family can attest to that), but with Attie waking up every morning all smiles...it's hard not to look forward to them. After what seem like grueling evenings filled with colicky crying - it is so nice to spend quality time with a smiling and utterly happy baby. Conversely, weekday mornings can be rather heartbreaking because of this...the last thing I want to do is drop off my perfectly content and beaming child at daycare knowing they will get to stare at all those wonderful smiles while I am sitting at work staring at my not-so-smiley computer. Computer or smiles...I would have to go with the latter. BUT then there come the weekend mornings. Coffee in bed with a baby full of smiles. If you would have told me before Atticus that I would love mornings...I would have laughed in your face.

Last night I dropped off some food at Vini and Rob's and was able to sneak a peek at their new little girl. At only a week and a few days old - she is so tiny! On the quite drive home alone (another activity I used to take for granted) it struck me how far Dwight, Attie and I have actually come in the past three months.

It took a brand new baby and two very tired and very new parents to make me realize that, believe it or not, we are actually doing an okay job at this parenting crap. Yes, the nights seem to be longer that ever and yes, there are very very few baby-less moments between Dwight and I - but we ARE progressing and things ARE getting more familiar. Hell, I would almost say - we are beginning to know what we are doing (until the routine changes again of course). We are all going to be just fine at the end of all this...at least until the rules change.

No comments: