Wednesday, December 20, 2006

First Timer

Well, here it is-my very first blog post. I like to think that my postings will remain focused and relevant to the issues of the day, but in reality I'm sure I'll do exactly what I try not to do in the classroom-rant and break off onto strange tangents. But, in the interest of time, I'll share with you what's on my mind at the moment and then see where that leads us. I just finished reading a couple of New York Times articles over my lunch break and I have to say I'm excited to see the new Clint Eastwood movie about the battle for Iwo Jima as seen from the perspective of the Japanese soldiers tasked with defending the island. Why am I excited? because I believe this is the first time a director has filmed two movies back to back depicting the same battle as seen from opposing sides. While A.O. Scott makes mention of the dehumanization necessary on either side of any military conflict, I strongly recommend Gwynne Dyer's War to anyone interested in learning more about why soldiers on any side do what they do. Additionally, check out Why We Fight, a great documentary on the rise of the military-industrial complex in America. As a former infantryman myself, I'm morbidly fascinated by studies/reports/films/novels that analyze the psychology behind armed conflict and how any boot camp can undo in 4 months the moral training of the prior 18 years. Any thoughts? Can we blame video games? Apocalypto?
The second NY Times article that caught my eye is a checklist for couples considering marriage. While worthwhile and interesting, I am a little suspicious of supposed experts who claim that a marriage can be made more ideal by ticking items off of a list. Is it possible that such lists attempt to simplify and streamline what cannot or should not be simplified and streamlined? Can two dynamic individuals ever honestly complete such a list knowing full well that any of a thousand different things could radically alter the agreed upon results of the checklist? And what then? A new checklist? Now, I know that most of the items on the list are logistical issues that probably won't change all that much-for example, barring any mid-life-crisis-inspired decision to buy a Corvette on impulse (is there any other way? Do people who buy Corvettes really plan years in advance to purchase one of these things?) the couple in question is unlikely to alter their spending/saving habits all that much-but other items are too subjective. Maggi and I never actively discussed our mental health backgrounds, but then I never invited Maggi to my prostate exam, either. Now see that, what I just did? That's a rant. But seriously, is a "good" marriage defined by the kind of e-harmony profile matching "try before you buy" mentality so pervasive in our society? What if I suffered from frequent bouts of insomnia and my wife didn't know because I felt ashamed or afraid of losing her? I know I'm oversimplifying (I often do, call it the curse of the high school teacher), but checklists like this seem dangerously appealing to people who foolishly believe that their marriage can as tiered and structured as their career track. That is all.

No comments: